Author Thread: THE CHOSEN
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 8 Mar, 2023 12:56 PM

There’s a show called “The Chosen” that’s gaining popularity among Evangelicals, but it’s actually spreading some serious heresy. The show is produced by the Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormon cult. Despite this fact, many Evangelicals seem to love it without realizing the theological problems it presents.

In the trailer for Season 3, the actor playing Jesus quotes from the Book of Mormon in response to the Pharisees. He says, “I am the law of Moses,” which contradicts what Jesus actually said in Scripture. While Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses, he never claimed to be the law of Moses himself. The quote is from Nephi 15:9, which states, “I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live.”

Well, now this dude that plays “Jesus,” Jonathan Roumie, explains how in real life he prayed with a dead homosexual. In New Apostolic Reformation circles, hyper-charismatics will sometimes practice a dangerous practice called “grave soaking” or “grave sucking.” Essentially, they believe that they can lie on the graves of dead people who they believe are “anointed” and “sucking” or “soak” the anointing out of them. It’s really strange, and it’s become a staple of Bethel Church who has published images and videos of them doing this on multiple occasions.

But Roumie takes it a step further and talks about how he also prayed with a dead man—a dead, homosexual, named Lonnie Frisbee, who Roumie is also playing in Greg Laurie’s movie, Jesus Revolution. Lonnie Frisbee was known as the “Christian Hippie” who is credited with starting the Jesus Movement, yet, he was a practicing homosexual who eventually died of AIDS after his lifestyle caught up with him. Yet, Smith, in real life, preached to him right into Heaven at his funeral.

Many have argued that Frisbee repented of his homosexuality before he died, but even if this were true, which there is little evidence to suggest that it is, it doesn’t change the fact that during most of his public ministry, he was living a double life and sleeping around with other men.

Nonetheless, this is who Jonathan Roumie says he is praying with in a weird interview where he talks about visiting Frisbee’s grave.

In fact, I sat down and I prayed with him. The space just to his right is empty, so I got to sit down or lie. At one point, I even lied down because I just thought it would be kind of interesting to try to connect in some way that’s probably more information than you need or maybe want to publish.

But that said, it’s the truth. And so I finished praying with him, and I said, Lonnie, I want to honor you with this film, and I really want to bring justice and the testament to the gifts of God’s grace and and powers that you displayed while you were on this earth.

And so if this is a good idea that I do this film, have somebody give me a sign. Give me a sign. Have God give me a sign. And the minute the words left my mouth behind me, there was a door open to the cathedral, and this giant cord rang out for about 5 seconds.

The Dissenter

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 10 May, 2023 07:43 AM

LD: I hope we settled any misunderstandings but I want to comment on things about the movie experience you observed.

NG: Well, as a 'Non-fan', I have heard both good & bad..

LD: Did you investigate?

NG: A friend has been involved in the project, and he definitely is a solid believer.

LD: Do you believe a “solid believer” cooperates with unbelievers in evangelical efforts? What, in your mind, determines a solid believer? Answers to these questions are found in scripture.

NG: The writers have been saying all the time that the show is NOT meant to replace Scripture. No work of art ever should be that.

NG: It can encourage people to seek God and read the Bible for themselves.

LD: hopefully

NG: Another friend ( a young lad) has shared how blessed he was by this show in the midst of depression, and how God took him out of hopelessness while watching the movie episode..

LD: I would want to know “how” this young man was encouraged. Did his daily walk with Jesus become more evident? Did he determine to love God more and obey him? Or, did the film just make him feel better and nothing else? Lots of false religions, like Mormonism, bring people out of depression and hopelessness

NG: So yes, I know it has blessed many souls, too.

LD: This is not a biblical defense. Mormonism, a false religion, blesses people too.

NG: The enemy always likes to stir up trouble, whenever God is using something..

LD: You repeated that statement twice, once here and in a succeeding post

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 10 May, 2023 07:47 AM

LD: I hope we settled any misunderstandings but I want to comment on things about the movie experience you observed.

NG: Well, as a 'Non-fan', I have heard both good & bad..

LD: Did you investigate?

NG: A friend has been involved in the project, and he definitely is a solid believer.

LD: Do you believe a “solid believer” cooperates with unbelievers in evangelical efforts? What, in your mind, determines the character of a solid believer? Answers to these questions are found in scripture.

NG: The writers have been saying all the time that the show is NOT meant to replace Scripture. No work of art ever should be that.

NG: It can encourage people to seek God and read the Bible for themselves.

LD: hopefully

NG: Another friend ( a young lad) has shared how blessed he was by this show in the midst of depression, and how God took him out of hopelessness while watching the movie episode..

LD: I would want to know “how” this young man was encouraged. Did his daily walk with Jesus become more evident? Did he determine to love God more and obey him? Or, did the film just make him feel better and nothing else? Lots of false religions, like Mormonism, bring people out of depression and hopelessness

NG: So yes, I know it has blessed many souls, too.

LD: This is not a biblical defense. Mormonism, a false religion and it blesses people too.

NG: The enemy always likes to stir up trouble, whenever God is using something..

LD: You repeated that statement twice, once here and in a succeeding post. You accused me of stirring up trouble. Please explain how I did this.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 10 May, 2023 08:05 AM

LD:Sorry about the double take.

Once again I’ll be sharing your comments followed by my responses

NG: Little David, I am absolutely NOT saying that bad theology is ok..

LD: that’s good

NG:Just sharing the other side of the debate on Chosen.

LD: I think the “other side of the debate” should have addressed the evidences detailed in the original thread blog.

NG: Like I said, I have not watched it and I am generally not a fan of any Christian plays or dramas.. But I know some people can be reached through them.

LD: there’s no doubt “people can be reached through them”. Nevertheless, the question remains, are people being reached in a way that leads them to a deeper obedient walk with Jesus?

NG: Please do not take your anger on me.

LD: that was your perception, I was not angry, we’ve discussed this already so no need to rehash

NG: and when someone I know who was at the brink of an abyss says they were blessed by the series, I would not tell him ' That is wrong!'

LD: Ok, but you should be willing to speak more fully about the film with him. Find out how he was blessed. Make sure he understands Jesus’ teachings and you should be willing to point out discrepancies. Inform him about the films production distortions and other cautions mentioned

God encouraged him through an imperfect work of art. Simple.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 10 May, 2023 08:34 AM

We all know many many people love going to the movies!

Rather see a show than read it study the Bible for themselves.

Then they except Part truth because they don't know what is truth .

And they don't have any real discernment, which comes from God himself.

Then they get angry then someone criticizes their posts.

They can probably do research most films themselves.

.:⁠-⁠)

Many people criticizes All churches. Maybe they need to attend one.

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 10 May, 2023 04:33 PM

Hi LD,

Your question 'did you investigate yourself'.

If by investigating you mean digging into all the negative commentary about the show, no. I have likely seen all the points of concern witviut needing to investigate extra..

As for the posituves, again I do not know how you mean by investigating - I have followed the project via my friend who was one of the team members.

He has shared a lot from behind the scenes, and obviously I might ask for more i fo. But I have no such urgent interest.

As for the young brother who was encouraged in his walk through Chosen, yes he is doing ok. This is soneone who already was doing in depth Bible studying, and seeking God daily so he was not lacking the knowledge about the Lord.

What he needed and got, was a personal reminder and encouragement in a low point of his life. Something to lift him up at that moment.

The Lord can reach down and touch us in a way we need at that moment.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 19 May, 2023 07:58 PM

Eve was “encouraged” by the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

After chatting with the serpent Eve was endued with confidence and positive encouragement. She now realized the forbidden tree was not really so bad. In fact, it was not only good for food but it could make her wise—like God‼️‼️ Who doesn’t wanna be like God⁉️⁉️ It sure seemed like an opportunity of a life time.

Well, we know what happened. The results of that decision are with us still. Results like deception, pain, sickness, death and dying. All because of 1 act of disobedience. These horrific troubles are still felt all around the world to this very day.

Please, I encourage you to go further. Do a complete biblical investigation of anything that falsely calls itself “Jesus”

Page : 1 2