Author Thread: THE CHOSEN
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 8 Mar, 2023 12:56 PM

There’s a show called “The Chosen” that’s gaining popularity among Evangelicals, but it’s actually spreading some serious heresy. The show is produced by the Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormon cult. Despite this fact, many Evangelicals seem to love it without realizing the theological problems it presents.

In the trailer for Season 3, the actor playing Jesus quotes from the Book of Mormon in response to the Pharisees. He says, “I am the law of Moses,” which contradicts what Jesus actually said in Scripture. While Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses, he never claimed to be the law of Moses himself. The quote is from Nephi 15:9, which states, “I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live.”

Well, now this dude that plays “Jesus,” Jonathan Roumie, explains how in real life he prayed with a dead homosexual. In New Apostolic Reformation circles, hyper-charismatics will sometimes practice a dangerous practice called “grave soaking” or “grave sucking.” Essentially, they believe that they can lie on the graves of dead people who they believe are “anointed” and “sucking” or “soak” the anointing out of them. It’s really strange, and it’s become a staple of Bethel Church who has published images and videos of them doing this on multiple occasions.

But Roumie takes it a step further and talks about how he also prayed with a dead man—a dead, homosexual, named Lonnie Frisbee, who Roumie is also playing in Greg Laurie’s movie, Jesus Revolution. Lonnie Frisbee was known as the “Christian Hippie” who is credited with starting the Jesus Movement, yet, he was a practicing homosexual who eventually died of AIDS after his lifestyle caught up with him. Yet, Smith, in real life, preached to him right into Heaven at his funeral.

Many have argued that Frisbee repented of his homosexuality before he died, but even if this were true, which there is little evidence to suggest that it is, it doesn’t change the fact that during most of his public ministry, he was living a double life and sleeping around with other men.

Nonetheless, this is who Jonathan Roumie says he is praying with in a weird interview where he talks about visiting Frisbee’s grave.

In fact, I sat down and I prayed with him. The space just to his right is empty, so I got to sit down or lie. At one point, I even lied down because I just thought it would be kind of interesting to try to connect in some way that’s probably more information than you need or maybe want to publish.

But that said, it’s the truth. And so I finished praying with him, and I said, Lonnie, I want to honor you with this film, and I really want to bring justice and the testament to the gifts of God’s grace and and powers that you displayed while you were on this earth.

And so if this is a good idea that I do this film, have somebody give me a sign. Give me a sign. Have God give me a sign. And the minute the words left my mouth behind me, there was a door open to the cathedral, and this giant cord rang out for about 5 seconds.

The Dissenter

Streetevangelist520^

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 6 May, 2023 08:11 PM

Thanks for posting this topic. I never knew this. I am definitely staying away from the chosen after reading what you posted. There is so much heresy in the church and the scriptures warn against it. Praise the LORD.

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 8 May, 2023 02:38 PM

Well, as a 'Non-fan', I have heard both good & bad..

A friend has been involved in the project, and he definitely is a solid believer.

The writers have been saying all the time that the show is NOT meant to replace Scripture. No work of art ever should be that.

It can encourage people to seek God and read the Bible for themselves.

Another friend ( a young lad) has shared how blessed he was by this show in the midst of depression, and how God took him out of hopelessness while watching the movie episode..

So yes, I know it has blessed many souls, too.

The enemy always likes to stir up trouble, whenever God is using something..

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 05:48 AM

Of course the film cannot replace scripture but the films writers have no license to distort scripture.

You seem to think bad theology is good if people benefit or get good feelings from it⁉️⁉️

Perhaps you’re a theological novice just now working your way through scripture. Of course, all of us must begin somewhere and I’m confident your views will eventually align with scripture once you read about Israel’s frequent departure from belief in the true God and defend their worship of false gods.

They too believed good things and good feelings happened when they worshiped false gods and false ideas.

Some even worshiped the true God but in the wrong way. Sadly, they found that God wasn't pleased with their disobedience.

Please read the following quote from Jeremiah. You must acquaint yourself with such warnings. There are many instances of false worship in scripture. They were written for our learning as examples to avoid

The Stubbornness of the People

Jeremiah44:15Then all the men who knew that their wives were burning incense to other gods, and all the women standing by—a great assembly—along with all the people living in the land of Egypt and in Pathros,e said to Jeremiah, 16“As for the word you have spoken to us in the name of the LORD, we will not listen to you! 17Instead, we will do everything we vowed to do: We will burn incense to the Queen of Heaven and offer drink offerings to her, just as we, our fathers, our kings, and our officials did in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem.

At that time we had plenty of food and good things, and we saw no disaster. 18But from the time we stopped burning incense to the Queen of Heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have lacked everything and have been perishing by sword and famine.”

19“Moreover,” said the women, “when we burned incense to the Queen of Heaven and poured out drink offerings to her, was it without our husbands’ knowledge that we made sacrificial cakes in her image and poured out drink offerings to her?”

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 06:21 AM

Little David, I am absolutely NOT saying that bad theology is ok..

Just sharing the other side of the debate on Chosen.

Like I said, I have not watched it and I am generally not a fan of any Christian plays or dramas.. But I know some people can be reached through them.

Please do not take your anger on me.

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 06:23 AM

.. and when someone I know who was at the brink of an abyss says they were blessed by the series, I would not tell him ' That is wrong!'

God encouraged him through an imperfect work of art. Simple.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 10:43 AM

NarnianGirl, Here’s what you said: “The enemy always likes to stir up trouble, whenever God is using something”.

You concluded the Decenter’s analysis that I published here raising concerns about Mormon influence in the movie “Chosen” is a work of the enemy.

Maybe you don’t understand the impact of your words but why accuse me of “anger”.

May l remind you, discussion boards are not for the easily offended.

Let’s review, I simply countered your claims. You then accused me “anger”. If that’s your method of response then please reconsider

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 11:19 AM

OK

You sure came across very angry - with exclamation marks, etc.. easily offended that I simply mentioned anything positive on this drama series. :)

It is true that the enemy opposes whenever God is doing something.

He uses imperfect methods and means.

Should Christians strive to have better art productions, wirh clear theology and Biblical message? Absolutely.

Does God reach people through imperfect means? Yes.

Some of my fave authors have questilnable or imperfect theology in areas that are non damning. I don't follow their doctrine, but I value their writings..

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 12:06 PM

I agree with everything you’ve said here.

I’m sorry about the colorful (⁉️‼️), I’m glad you brought that to my attention, others may have seen them as indicative of anger as well. Mine weren’t intended to express anger but rather to express emphasis.

I should either look for a less colorful way of expression or use if I use them, make sure my intentions are clear—and you’re right to mention that, I accept your thoughts.

Just to be clear, I’ve read your other posts and you make a lot of sense—-most all the time😉

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 12:09 PM

Hope you keep posting

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE CHOSEN
Posted : 9 May, 2023 12:18 PM

One last note. You’re welcome to critique whatever I post and I hope do. I’ll either try to defend my thoughts or tap out.

Because of your input just now, I’m going to try being more sensitive expressing myself. So keep at it, you’re getting through 😊

Page : 1 2