Author Thread: What's my motivation?
2mountain

View Profile
History
What's my motivation?
Posted : 18 Mar, 2023 06:57 PM

That's something that good actors ask all the time. It's a very important thing to ask, if you want to play a character well. But what about motives for being here on this site? What's your impression about the people here?

My primary one is I want to find people I connect with. Friends, etc. is fine but primarily I hope to find someone to have a family with. After all, what's the point of marriage, other than for children of our own? It's a pretty important partnership, and personally I would have difficulty thinking of a non-selfish motive for marriage otherwise.

Sadly, most of the motives I've noticed have been selfish. Sure, there's those who have been married before and are just seeking the comforts they knew, or getting married again just because that's what you do, or the only life they've known as adults.

There's also those who want a companion to exercise their lust with, like Paul spoke of in the NT, 'if you don't have the gift for celibacy' (badly paraphrased, apologies). There's those who just don't want to be alone as well.

Then there's those seeking money, or a green card. Sadly, it's become my impression that the majority of everyone here has some, if not the majority, of their motivation founded in selfishness, rather than the altruism of living for others and for God.

Of course, some of my motivation is probably selfish. I honestly don't see any reason for me to get married though, unless children and a family could be in that future, as opposed to the unmarried future. What would I miss, never tying the knot, aside from children of my own? I can't think of anything I would have to miss out on, practically speaking, and any legal, emotional, or spiritual ties to someone else could take so much away.

NotSettlingYet^

View Profile
History
What's my motivation?
Posted : 19 Mar, 2023 11:29 AM

I heard this interesting quote this weekend about deciding to get married or not. "If you can serve God better when you are together..." that could be a reson to get married.

As I am not having kids of my own, that would probably have to be the motivation for me if I am to get married. I want to be the helper to my husband as I believe God has equipped me to be so.

WalkNTalk

View Profile
History
What's my motivation?
Posted : 28 Apr, 2023 01:12 PM

A lot of people here are here to pass the time to fill their empty lives with something. It is a choice of vanities. Life is one vanity and another. Writing strangers on the internet is one of them. We get bored. We return to what we are familiar with. Here it is freezing cold six months a year and to pass the time, I get on the internet. True, more the people who write are after gifts of money and gift cards and some want to be supported and want you to pay their way. Many on here do not want children, but want a spouse. I think it cheapens marriage to want to marry, but not be open to children. Why bother? Seems the best that one can get on these sites is a good conversation once in a while. It surely is not a daily basis. Once in a while, one can have a meaningful conversation.