Author Thread: The dreaded baby fat :O
Rabbit32

View Profile
History
The dreaded baby fat :O
Posted : 15 Sep, 2010 12:51 PM

Please take no offence by what I am about to say, cause I mean no offence, and I thank you in advance for your grace.

Why is it some women have such a hard time managing their weight after the birth of a child. It never ceases to amaze me the radical change that CAN happen to a woman after she bears a child. Just Curious :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 08:18 AM

Bunch of reasons...perhaps hormones, age, exhaustion, focus, etc. or a combination of any or all the above and more.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 08:25 AM

LOL, Rabbit just think of the radical change that DOES happen to a woman when she's pregnant, not to mention after she gives birth.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in the above post...time.

Rabbit32

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 10:10 AM

so do you think its mostly situational factors. If it was it would seem that my ex did not adapt to them, but IDK I have a hard time understading :)

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 11:00 AM

IN MY(a man) OPINION(Disclaimer:laugh:), it might be that a lot women seem to allow themselves to "indulge" when they're pregnant, and they form a lot of bad habits and lose a lot of self-control. It seems like it would be like, " I'll just use drugs and then stop in 9 months, it'll be easy".. And I'm not trying to sound unmerciful here...just giving my opinion on how I think it happens. I'm not saying that it's wrong to eat whatever you want when you're pregnant, so don't light the torches up. It'd be better to over-eat than to under-eat. Just saying that afterward, it should be no surprise to anyone/a husband that it's hard to get back on the wagon.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 12:12 PM

Rabbit, I think whether its mostly situational factors depends on the situation. :nahnah:

Honestly, each woman is different. Each pregnancy is different. The age at which a woman gives birth. The amount of weight gained during the pregnancy. The condition of the woman prior to pregnancy....their body type. Hormones during and after pregnancy and medical conditions (diabetes for instance) play a role.

Situationally, there are factors such as time...how much time is a available for the woman to devote to herself? Is she working outside the home? How many other children is she looking after? How much is her husband available to help her? Are there friends and family in the area that she can depend on? Is there good childcare available that is affordable?

Next, there is energy level...how much energy does she have in the time available to her to devote to exercise and losing 'baby fat.' Again, is she working outside the home? How many other children is she looking after? How much is her husband available to help her? etc. How much sleep is she getting? Is she the one getting up for round the clock feedings? Where is she expending her energy?

Add on top of this pleasing a husband, taking care of a home and any other outside responsibilities to work, friends, family, church that she might have and sometimes it may be hard to lose the weight.

There are nutritional and behavioral factors that tie into all of this as well...and I'm not trying to excuse poor choices. There aren't too many women out there wouldn't like to lose the 'baby fat'...but there are contributing factors that can combine to make it difficult.

springrose10

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 02:01 PM

What Handi said plus genetics.

Rabbit32

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 08:16 PM

I guess Mark said what I was trying to say. When it comes to body fat, how can it be :) that there is such a drastic increase in body fat.

I know women are supposed to put on a bit more for food baby (fat that is) but most of it should be baby, placenta, ambiotic fluid, etc where does the rest come from lol.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Sep, 2010 11:06 AM

Rabbit, if you're asking what the physiological reason are, then you're going to have to google it. It's been almost 30 years since I took a course in reproductive physiology and 8 since I had my daughter...some things in my brain I've just had to let go...:nahnah:

I think I can say, with some degree of accuracy, that most women DON'T throw caution and discipline to the winds, stuff their faces with ice cream and dismiss their personal trainers for 9 months. C'mon guys, give us a little bit of a break here. :ROFL: I think most women kinda wonder how it got there themselves.

Listen, Rabbit, I could give you a play by play of what it felt like to be pregnant, of all the physical discomfort, the emotional discomfort, what the hormonal changes felt like, why I ate what I did and why it was harder to exercise, etc., etc....but that wouldn't really give you anymore insight about your ex, her personal experiences or what it would feel like if YOU were pregnant. Every woman different...every pregnancy different.

What I will suggest you do is think about a personal trial or difficulty that you endured and overcame but ended up with some scars. Did it help to have people that had never been through a similar trial (or even ones that had) stand at the end and say, 'Great job getting through it, but look at that scar. If you'd only done it differently, you wouldn't have had as bad a scar.' How helpful is that? How clearly do any of us see all aspects of a situation when we're going through difficulties? Where was that person with the sage advice when you were in the middle of the fire? Some food for thought.

Now, I have a question for you guys if you will indulge me...

What do you think the role of a husband is in helping his wife through a pregnancy?

Rabbit32

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Sep, 2010 11:19 AM

...duck and cover :ROFL: jk...ill answer later I got to go to class :D

btw good point

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Sep, 2010 07:02 PM

Try to help her as much as possible with everything possible. She's the one doing all the work in a pregnancy. The husbands should take on an extra load for the duration. And then after the pregnancy has basically ripped her body to pieces, be understanding/accepting about what it just went through, and try to help her get healthy again WITHOUT being overbearing about it. Could even babysit a lot so she could have some time to relieve stress and have some incentive to get back on a normal schedule/diet. Maybe the men could handle the childcare for the 9 months after the birth! As much as possible anyway.

:peace::peace:

Page : 1 2