Author Thread: I am NOT an octupus!
stillyoung

View Profile
History
I am NOT an octupus!
Posted : 12 May, 2009 07:46 PM

I am always telling my boys that I am not an octupus...because invariably I will have at least two of them and sometimes all four simultaneously clamoring for my help. Being just one person to parent four little ones is what I feel sometimes only an impossible task.

However, learning that they cannot always have instant gratification and being reminded from time to time that Mommy is NOT an octupus lends a bit of humor and hopefully will teach them to wait to have their needs met...otherwise known as patience.

When I first became a single mother I was so worried that my kids were really going to be warped by being in a single parent family. However, a friend of mine reminded me that she grew up in a single parent family and as she began to recount warm and crazy memories from that time in her life, I knew that even the craziness of a single parent family does not have to be a handicap for our kids but can instead be the stuff of warm memories and a good lesson in how to make lemonade when life hands you lemons...that it's not what you get dealt but what you do with what you are given in life that really counts.

stillyoung

View Profile
History
I am NOT an octupus!
Posted : 12 May, 2009 07:51 PM

Okay...I just proved I am human and completely fallible. :-) I mispelled Octopus. I do know the difference...just didn't proofread well. :-) Glad you are all so forgiving! :-)

Shunammite

View Profile
History
I am NOT an octupus!
Posted : 22 May, 2009 11:42 AM

Hugs to you girl,

I can relate sometimes. What I have learned is to take each day at a time and fully leverage God's strength.

I never let my daughter feel disadvantaged and want to let her have at least as much as kids with two parents - in discipline, love, opportunities et al.

I pray my way to making that happen but will be first to confess that I sometimes fall short. Between piano, swimming, karate, private school, home work, play dates, etc. Sometimes I just want to weep out loud when I get overwhelmed! But it has pushed me to use my resources in FATHER so much more!

A favorite prayer is in Psalms 68: 5 and Ps. 62. I pray you find strength in Christ!

Hugs and lotta love!

B'Loved