Author Thread
ChristCentered

View Profile
So Many Single Mothers?
Posted : 3 Feb, 2009 12:15 PM

I think that two guiding principles that serve us well when considering this or any other significant issue regarding the Christian walk are:

1. Our Lord has called us to the highest standards and will equip us daily to achieve them in every area of life, if we will but open our eyes, take His hand and follow the path He makes plain to us. This requires prayerful consideration and dedication, but it is His promise to each who know Him as Lord.

2. We are in a fallen world and have a sinful nature that will result in failure to realize these perfect standards. But He is faithful when we are not and He will make a way for us to have great things - the greatest - from this day forward if we will repent, seek His will and diligently strive to walk the path to which He leads us.

Is it less possible for a single mother to find the true bliss that is a God given, ordained and blessed life long marriage?

Of course not!

Is such a thing less likely for a single mother?

Perhaps.

But there again, we can only say this when we rely on secular, Godless standards of measurement.

Through our God and our God alone, all good things are possible. He is the source and goal of every true, undiluted good thing. Conversely, it is simply not possible to experience any truly good thing apart from Him.

When I see and hear words and deeds that demonstrate a true, dedicated, genuine faith in the one and only God of creation, I know that the man or woman exhibiting this beauty is certainly able to attain any level of greatness in any area of life imaginable.

God can bring such a person to otherwise unimaginable heights.

Divorce is an ugly thing, but God - the lover of our souls - has ordained it in certain situations and as such it would be a vile act of rebellion to somehow view or treat a legitimately divorced man or woman as somehow "second class", "tainted" or otherwise "less than" any other single Christian person seeking companionship in accordance with His perfect will.

Of course, all of thse thoughts are contingent on the fact of a genuine Christian foundation. Without a deep and growing relationship with the Lord and without submitting to His clear, revealed will, we are doomed to repeat mistakes, make new ones, damage lives and live out an unfulfilling, mediocre existence at best.

But with Him all great things are possible.

That's my take.

S